Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ich gehe nach Deutschland.

Hello friends and family!

I'm not sure how this whole blog thing is going to work out as this is my first attempt at writing in one, but I figured that this would be the best way to keep in touch with everyone and to share pictures, etc. Anyway, I hope to update this thing at least semi-regularly in lieu of not having regular contact with all of you (although, of course, I would love to trade e-mail messages or "snail mail" as well).
So, I have officially been in Germany for five days and have already had so many noteworthy experiences, but I will do my best to summarize what I've been up to. In case I didn't have a chance to inform you of the specifics of the Fulbright grant before I left the U.S., all non-German-fluent Fulbrighters are offered the opportunity to participate in a six-week intensive language course, prior to beginning their individual research projects (all over Germany). There are about forty of us here, all under different areas of study - however, I am happy to report that there are many chemists and biologists, not a surprise considering Germany's track record for attracting scientists. =)

I arrived at the site of the language course (Phillips-Universität in the town of Marburg) on Tuesday, August 12 in late morning. My flight from Newark to Frankfurt was without incident, though I can't say the same for my drive to the airport - any bittersweet separation anxiety I felt about leaving the United States for a year was completely erased after three hours on the New Jersey highway system. Getting to Marburg from Frankfurt was a little bit more difficult, as I pretty much packed my entire life into two very, very heavy suitcases and I needed to drag said suitcases on (and off) of two trains to get to the final destination. Thankfully, I met another Fulbrighter at the baggage claim who was very helpful (as were many Germans who must have recognized our deer-in-headlights expressions) and we managed to make it here unscathed. I am embarrassed to admit that my arms were actually sore for several days from lifting my luggage. =\


The town of Marburg is very, very cute and seems (at least to this rather unseasoned traveler) to be a quintessentially European city. We are living in the Uni Studentendorf - essentially dormitory complex, comprised of about ten individual dorm buildings - in single dorm rooms. The whole thing is kind of an usual set-up, as the Fulbrighters are literally all over the complex, and, until very recently, without Internet/any way to contact each other. Secondly, the Studentendorf is a good twenty-five minute walk away from anything, and, to boot, at the tip-top of several impressive hills. Basically what this means that when we walk to class in the morning we pretty much have to stay out until dinner because nothing, not even a meal, is worth walking up that hill more than twice in one day. On the upside, I am getting a lot of exercise and have really been enjoying all of the walking that we've been doing (although my feet have not and have accumulated quite an array of blisters in various places).



Here are some pictures of my dorm, simple but nice and recently remodeled:






On Friday, as part of the cultural component of our language class, our official Fulbright contact in Marburg, Klaus, arranged for us to have a comprehensive three-hour walking tour of the city. The city itself is steeped in history and some of the churches that we visited (a handful of the many that I've seen here) dated back to >500 years old. Here are some highlights:



Elisabethkirche (Elisabeth Church).



The building where the Bunsen Burner was supposedly invented - no joke.



Beautiful.



Das Rathaus (or City Hall).






Medeival paintings on the wall of a church.



The fairly extensive walk up was worth it to see this...



...and this.



There are lots of castles here!



Today we had an excursion to a medeival castle in Christenberg, which is a 400 meter high hill in the Burgwald.


First they treated us to an amazing BBQ,



then we went for a walk in the woods.



This is the Martinskirche, which was built around 1000 A.D. According to legend, St. Boniface ordered the building of the church.



People came up here on horses and horse-drawn carriages.

Regarding the language barrier - my first few days here I literally was paralyzed with fear every time I had to purchase something or interact with anyone in German. Although my German is far from proficient, the little bit of the language that I did remember from my freshman year of college seemed to be completely lost to my anxiety about sounding like, well, a "dumb American." I am happy to say that I have gotten over this, at least a little bit, and I have successfully ordered several meals/completed (unimportant) transactions in German. Having that said, I walked into the student bar here the other night and merely said "Hallo" to the bartender before he started speaking to me in English, so I know that I have a very, very long way to go. However, I have had some very amusing attempts to communicate with other Germans/international students here in a combination of German and English, which are, if not educational, nothing short of hilarious. =)

Anyway, I really should get to bed as I have my language course again in the morning - I hope that everyone is doing great! Please send me an e-mail or your mailing address if you'd like to be pen pals while I'm away. I miss you all.

Until next time, tschüss!



Ashlan

7 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Ashlan,
great to hear from you! I think the blog is a great idea. Just for the record, since I assume many Americans will be reading this: no, we Germans don't usually ride horses or drive horse-drawn carriages to get somewhere, we do actually have cars, too :-) Riding is very popular, though, and a trip to a castle on horseback is always fun!
Viele Grüße aus Western Massachusetts,
Karen

Unknown said...

Hi Ash,

Really nice blog (minus your blistered feet!).

I think the idea of getting around by horseback and carriage is a great one. Enjoy it while you can.

Hope you're recovering and enjoying beautiful Germany! It looks amazing!! Looking forward to more pics and updates! Miss you tons back here :(

Love you,
Mom

Allison said...

1.) Those buildings look gorgeous! What a beautiful sight.
2.) Look at that cute little café outside of city hall! You'll have to tell me how THOSE lattés are, Ash :)
3.) Is it just me, or does your dorm room (at least in the pictures you have posted) look like the one from I-House? When I saw your "simple" bed with the little shelf near the window with the weird-ass patterns on the dorm-issued cloth, I have to say, I thought "J-Deck."
4.) Miss you heaps, know you'll nail the language-

Unknown said...

Ashizzle,

I am so jealous! I wish I was with you. I really am hoping to visit you in December. I have to say though, your room looks much nicer in the photos than it does through your webcam! :0) Anywho, miss you tons! I can't wait to get a headset so I can actually talk to you. I also think that I will invest in a webcam so I can give you a tour of my room.

Te amo.

Chowshy

Unknown said...

Ashlan-
It is so good to read about your expedition and it appears to be a memorable one. Good job blogging and please keep it going.
Despite your great journey, Wheaton is SO much missing you and the class of 2008. Meals are quiet, and generally lack Ashlan. Please continue to live life to the fullest in Germany but also know that you are missed.
-Reid

Anonymous said...

Here ist Ghislain..
Hey Ashlan, du bist wirklich eine lieb und nette person, bleib wie du bist....ich habe mich echt gefreut deine Bekanntschaft gemacht zu haben....
Tak car
Wunderschöne Bilder.....!!!

Unknown said...

Ashy,

Keep your chin up. I am sorry to hear everything isn't going quite as well as you had anticipated. Try and remember that language/cultural barriers are difficult to overcome, but certainly not impossible. As you know, what's acceptable in one culture isn't necessarily acceptable in another. Maybe try to further emphasize to MPI scientists that things function much differently in the United States-- It's OK to reference back to the book to recall a certain mechanism, and it's OK to ask questions! After all, research is in fact based from a question. You will also have to pull your weight-- try to put yourself in their shoes and maybe you will gain further insight as to why they expect so much of you. Keep at it though, think of how prepared you are going to be when you get back to Madison!! Don't for a second begin to doubt your abilities. You are unbelievable and you wouldn't have won a Fulbright and that award from Wisconsin if you didn't truly deserve them. I have said this to others, and I will say it to you-- You are among the BEST that the United States has to offer in the discipline of Chemistry. Your current struggle is not derived from deficient skills, rather from conflicting cultural ideas of how a lab should function. Imagine what your friend Karen thought when she came to UMass! Maybe you could talk to her about this a bit. I love you.

Chels